PHOTOGRAPHY COMPETITION RULES
Century of Nature Photography in the Barents Area – photography competition
The Century of Nature Photography in the Barents Area photography competition is a nature photography competition organized by the Kainuu Regional Council. The competition can be entered by submitting nature- or tourism-related images shot in the Barents area (the northern regions of Norway, Sweden, Finland or Russia). The competition is open to everyone.
Prizes will be awarded as follows:
I. Prize three thousand (3.000) euros
II. Prize two thousand (2.000) euros
III. Winner of the general vote: one thousand (1.000) euros
The prize amounts are taxable income according to Finnish law. The winner is responsible for compliance with the tax laws of his/her own country. The amounts are in accordance with the local currency of the competition (euro). The winner will be responsible for redeeming prizes and paying applicable taxes.
The competition period is August 11 – October 31, 2017. The competition judging panel will make their decision on November 3, 2017. The winner will be announced during a seminar held at the Kuhmo Arts Center on November 9, 2017, to which all pre-registered visitors have free access. All winners will also be notified in person, provided appropriate contact information has been submitted.
General participant and competition rules and terms:
1. Participation requires all parties to comply with these rules. By participating in the competition participants accept the rules.
2. The prizes of the competition are announced in these rules and no other prizes or rewards will be awarded. The prize amounts will be paid to the bank accounts provided by the winners within two (2) weeks of granting the awards.
3. The organizer is not responsible for any prize taxes. All possible prize tax consequences are the responsibilities of the winners as different countries are subject to different tax practices.
4. The competition is open to everyone. Participation can be from anywhere in the world. The organizers of the competition and the jury are not eligible for participation in the competition. Children under the age of 15 must have a guardian’s consent to participate in the competition.
The guardian will accept any prize on behalf of the child, and also care for possible tax consequences.
5. Participate in the competition by submitting an image in JPEG format to the competition website www.discoverbarents.com. The image should be at least 1,600 pixels in size. There is no upper limit or form requirement. The image must be shot in the Barents region. When participating in the competition, the participant must indicate the shooting location and time for each image.
6. The number of images submitted by one participant is not limited, in other words, one can submit as many as one wants. Only one of the images submitted by the same participant can, however, win a prize.
7. Participants must always use their own name in the competition. If someone appears under a different name, he/she can lose their prize.
8. By participating in the competition, the participant declares that the image is their own, does not infringe any copyright, trademark, privacy or moral rights, and no other party has any claim to the image.
9. By participating in the competition, the participant gives the organizer the right to reproduce, display, print or use competition images in any form for a period of five years after the end of the competition. Images can be used to market and/or be used by the Barents region. Organizer may also use images in other media (including social media).
10. Images submitted to the competition are stored in a common photo gallery from which they are freely available for any of the above purposes after the end of the competition. The photographer information and image source are prerequisites for displaying the image. Images can be downloaded in different formats by registering on the website. Images can be downloaded for a period of five years after the end of the competition.
11. The organizer reserves the right to publish the first name, surname, home town and home country of the participating photographer in all competition-related contexts.
12. The organizer reserves the right to edit and crop images submitted to the contest in order to modify them for different venues. When presenting an image in any context, it will always mention the photographer’s name.
13. The organizer of the competition reserves the right unilaterally to decide whether the images submitted for the contest are suitable for publication in the competition photo gallery. Photos that contain copyrighted/violent/pornographic or otherwise inappropriate content will not be published.
14. The competition period begins on August 11, 2017 and ends on October 31, 2017 at 24.00 (midnight). The general vote ends on November 3, 2017 at 24.00. The general voting process is managed by applying a like-function, meaning that visitors to the site like the image they vote for, resulting in a general vote. The jury, selected by the organizer of the photo competition, selects the best two pictures on November 3, 2017.
15. The organizer of the photo contest is based in Kainuu, where a photography seminar and the announcement of the winners will take place in November 2017. The costs of the winners’ trips to Kainuu will be sponsored, based on actual costs, up to a maximum of one thousand (1.000) euros.
16. The organizer reserves the right to change the rules of the competition at all times.